Wednesday 11 January 2012

Characters and Style

Simple answer to why I haven't posted yet: fighting crippling low self-esteem concerning 2D drawing skills.

Having finally found a style to grab onto, Ben 10 by Man of Action, the plans are progressing once again, and in more or less a more concrete manner. I used the character art for Ben Tenneyson from 'Ben 10: Ultimate Alien' as a reference for Hans, young Gwen Tenneyson from 'Ben 10' as a reference for Greta, and older (16) Gwen from 'Ben 10: Ultimate' as a reference for the Witch. OBVIOUSLY more drawings must be done, it hurts me inside to be this derivative already, but it's a start.




I'm liking how Hans turned out with the new style, though as shown by the notes, I both need and want to keep working on him to make him look better.

Greta is another matter, I still need to make her more distinctive than a Gwen Tennyson dress-up doll; while Gwen is an awesome character, Greta needs to stand apart and with her own distinctive personality. Thus, need to work on the face some more.
The costume is also fairly unfinished/undecided, I'm more a fan of the far left outfit, but it doesn't quite do it for me just yet, so I need to keep trying. She's also beginning to lose her femininity in that left shot, have to keep an eye on that...

The Witch is my least favorite so far, she just looks like a teenager who found her mother's dominatrix gear. Which is NOT what I'm going for here, so therefore needs to be fixed. I need to work on making her more imposing, more threatening, as well as mature; right now she looks like she'd mock your choice of clothing, but not really try and kill you. I'd like to expand the costume a bit more to exagerate the character some more; I'm thinking some big shoulderpads with long curved spikes off the sides, holding on a transparent black silk cape... Thoughts? Suggestions? Obviously I need to fix the base character's body FIRST, make her older and dangerous, but good to keep these details in mind.

I need to put together some sketches of the House of Rock next, I haven't been able to draw anything I didn't shred within 10 minutes. -_-;

As always, Feedback is GREATLY appreciated, it is the main thing that fuels my progress. That and deadlines :P To add impetus, anyone who sends me feedback here on this blog will receive a cookie! all ya gotta do is ask :3

No comments:

Post a Comment